Sunday, August 19, 2012

of microwaves and piggy banks

Go figure, you are trying to live on unemployment, or at least keep expenses down as much as possible, since unemployment pretty much just pays the health insurance you now have to pick up because of hubby's job loss and you are making a cup of instant coffee because instant is cheaper than brewed, with dehydrated milk I might add, and the microwave you have used for Years dies.

We don't Have to replace it, we can make do with heating drinks and breakfast oatmeal on the gas stove, and I'm all for not replacing it, but hubby wants to.

And it would be on Sunday when even the possibility of replacing it at an estate sale needs to wait until next Saturday.  I suppose we could try Goodwill or similar places but with a microwave there is always the possibility of importing someone else's roaches.

Oh well.  Yesterday was a depressed day, I spent it either reading or crying.  About 3 pm I came out of it enough to function a bit.

Don't know what triggered it or why yesterday.  Just one of those things, I guess.  Today I can move forward.

Was awakened at 5:30 am this morning by a thunderstorm.  Thunder had Dog jumping up on the couch with me, lightening was bright but the worst of the storm passed by south of here.

Just to make sure it wasn't the plug gone bad instead of the microwave, we tried the bread maker in the socket.  I almost never use it as no matter what I do, the dough sticks badly.  Socket was fine and at the back of the cabinet was found my old piggy bank that my grandfather gave me. Ah, you are going to say, we then found enough valuable old coins to buy a new microwave.  A couple of aluminum tokens and two quarters were the whole horde, sad to say.
My only grandfather whose lifetime overlapped mine died when I was 10 and I have nothing of him except a few pictures and this little Piggy.  So she is precious to me.

No comments: