Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Exchange of Favors

Our neighbors gave us some carrots, apples and tomatoes yesterday.  I also got to play with their grand baby for a little.  He is a charming two year old, blonde and with lots and lots of energy.  I think he was doing his best to wear his grandmother out.

I'm thrilled for the tomatoes as I have been fixing tomato and pesto sandwiches for lunch every day with our fresh garden herbs.  But my tomatoes are taking a break from bearing, so I'm happy to have theirs.  I will be minding their house while they visit their daughter.  The apples and carrots were "for the rabbits", but even though they are a bit on the over the hill side, I am happy to have them.  You can eat cheaply in this country a long as you are willing to fill up on starches and fat.  But it is the fruits and veggies I miss and it is those that seem the most expensive part of my grocery budget.

No comments: