Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tornados and Fay

Woke before the sun this morning. Guess I was slept out. Last night went to bed early, even missed Hillary's speech. I'm sure I was fatigued due to all the tornado excitement of yesterday. Buddy, Kamath and I hid out in the downstairs bathroom for half an hour as the local weather was broadcasting to "take cover".

A tornado actually touched down in Clemson. As far as I know, no one was hurt, but a lot of trees were downed and it did some damage to an athletic field and knocked a lot of power out. I hear there are trees down again this morning. Many of the trees around here are weakened by the years of drought and when the soil gets soft, they just can't take it anymore.

The rain barrel worked well, although we just kept the valve open and let the rain run out into the garden via the hose. Today I will close the valve and maybe we will get enough rain this morning to save up another barrel.

Scary afternoon, but on the up side we did get lots of much needed rain. Perhaps that will take us out of the extreme drought category. Hope, hope.

I feel for everyone who has suffered so much damage and flooding due to Fay. But the silver lining in these clouds, for us anyway, was some critical rain.

No comments: